Wednesday, April 17, 2013

5 Things I Learned From Watching Bb. Pilipinas

Hooray for self-explanatory titles!

I watched the live - well, as live as any telecast with commercials could be - airing of Bb. Pilipinas 2013 last Sunday. My sister and I knew we had to wake up at seven the next morning, but it would be a crime to miss BP's Q&A portion -- a  crime that would sentence me to a night's worth of Twitter-induced curiosity and self-inflicted ignorance. Yes, it's that serious.

1) There are just some people in this world who are too beautiful for their own good. 

Pia Wurtzbach - Bb. Pilipinas 2013 first runner-up

The inflection contained in the aforementioned statement indicates no envy on the writer's part whatsoever. Nor does it clearly  imply her descent into a void of self-esteem issues and woe-is-me griping. 

2) As if being blessed with perfect genetic combinations wasn't enough, they have to fit too?! 

                         


3) Because pageant candidates seem to have the two B's (beauty and brawn) down pat already, we tend to amplify their flaws in the area which they seem to lack in the most: brains.

I remember Twitter blowing up into a frenzy during the Q&A portion. The top 15 had finally been announced. Meanwhile, I thought I'd get a glimpse at what was lying beneath those pretty faces and gorgeous bods once and for all.

I didn't know what to feel after hearing answers such as: 

“Do you think you could be a good Catholic if you believe in the RH bill?”

“I believe that believing in the RH bill is a good… especially for us educated people, we should know how to be a… we should know how to… understand the RH bill itself. So it’s really important, especially for the kids right now. Thank you very much.”

“Which country in the world, aside from the Philippines, fascinates you and why?”

“Nais ko po sanang sagutin ang iyong katanungan sa wikang Filipino. Sa totoo po, kung ako’y papipiliin, ayoko po sanang bitiwan ang Pilipinas dahil mahal ko po ito. Pero kung bibigyan ako ng chance, nais ko pong maka… sa Amerika po. Dahil sa tingin ko ito ‘yung pinaka… para sa akin, maunlad na bansa at andoon sa President Obama na siyang matatag na president natin. Thank you.”


At first, I thought I was disappointed at the candidates. Things like "Nag-Filipino ka nga pero Taglish naman ginamit mo." and "You didn't even answer the question!" were running through my head. Admittedly, I also couldn't help but laugh because hey, I knew had answers with a lot more substance than that.

With the benefit of hindsight, I now realize that what I had initially thought as disappointment in the candidates was actually disappointment in myself. I was disappointed because I could never muster up the courage to strut like they did in front a thousand-strong audience. I was disappointed because situations like class presentations already nauseate me, and I shudder at the thought of barfing my dinner while answering questions for the whole country to see and judge. 

When the candidates showed a part of themselves that was less than perfect, I was relieved. Why? Because it made me feel better about my imperfections, too.

4) Bb. Pilipinas isn't just a celebration of beauty; it's a celebration of Filipina beauty.










Miss Universe-Philippines Ariella Arida 




















               Bb. Pilipinas-International Bea Santiago 










I asked my sister why the other girls didn't win if they were so much prettier than whom the judges eventually picked. She just told me, "Because they don't look Filipina!" 

Yeah, I guess she had a good point. Long flowy hair, almond-shaped eyes and cheekbones sharp enough to scrape glass... Textbook definition of morena beauty right there. 

5) The way we see beauty pageants will determine how we're affected by them.

I've read countless articles bashing beauty queens and pageants alike for eliciting sexism and shameless objectification. I mean, are you for real?! How dare you judge people based on outer appearances alone! You chauvinistic, hormone-driven pig!

Well, yeah.

But then, what the winners do during their reign actually indicates otherwise. They help promote environmental issues and support advocacies that aid victims of abuse and rape. They also inspire women to rise above adversity and show the world what they're made of. Not so sexist after all.

In the end, the way we perceive competitions such as Bb. Pilipinas will tell a lot about the way we perceive ourselves. If we just use them as opportunities to ogle at bikini-clad bodies and weep about our own non-existent abs, then maybe it's time to confront the problem where it really lies: inside. On the other hand, if we see pageants as manifestations of women who embody confidence and celebrate their beauty inside and out, then we're probably one step closer to securing that crown for ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment